My Cassette Collection #4
I can’t quite remember how I got into FOXES IN FICTION, but I think it was during a certain glory year at Pitchfork, around 2010. I had gotten into a good habit of delving into their Forkcast page, picking up different, weird and interesting downloads, getting into other great musicians like LOST BOY ?, ELEPHANT & CASTLE, WASHED OUT, FOREST SWORDS, etc, artists mainly scouted by Larry Fitzmaurice. It was a rare moment of excitement in my musical discovery, of finding a place and time where good, interesting new music was being centred into one place, that didn’t seem to happen often, due to people’s lazy approach to music. Chillwave was getting attention and the underground seemed fascinated with callback electronic music that sounded like something out of New York Ripper or something. This lead onto other artists doing different alternative electronic music to get attention.
One of the finds there was FOXES IN FICTION, and his track FLASHING LIGHTS ARE ENDING NOW, a dream pop song that had such a lush and magical chord progression. I delved into the album most closely associated with the song, and that was Warren Hildebrand (FIF)’s first album, "SWUNG FROM THE BRANCHES", a kaleidoscope release of plush ambience, delicate nu-progressive electronica, downbeat pop music and rippling and shimmering soundscapes. The album was an experience for me, a transcendence.
To me it felt like an audio equivalent of dying, being in a hosptial bed and waiting to pass into the afterlife, but on some of the most blissful drugs known to humankind. The way the album twists and turns is remarkable and, despite the flow, has so much variation throughout and is essentially an ambient prog pop album. The first half is essentially a beautiful electronic sea of shore lappings and rock cascadings, leading to the otherside which turns into an uplifting catalogue of uplifting and beautifully fun dream pop songs, from “JIMI BLEACHBALL”, “15 ATIVAN (SONG FOR ERIKA)”, “MEMORY POOLS” and “SNOW ANGELS”. In a lot of ways, this release is very scoric, in the same way people say that “THREE LOVE SONGS” by RICKY EAT ACID is, and is a release that you feel like you have ‘experienced’ after you hear it, like a beautiful film.
FAV TRAXXX: “8/29/91”, “Basement Windows”, “Jimi Bleachball”, “15 Ativan (Song for Erika)”
So, I’ve decided to a SHARE + WIN competition thingy.
Basically, the idea is, you can win a copy of each of the cassette releases currently available on Cheesus Crust Records.
1. The last copy of the videosforpictures/BLOODSPORT split tape Waitin’ For That Warm Feeling To Return (EXPERIMENTAL AMBIENCE/DOWNBEAT ELECTRONIC)
2. One of the last few copies of Oh No! Yoko's first EP 'PAU PAU', available in GREEN, PINK AND ORANGE still (MATHY INDIE POP)
3. The new Videosforpictures collection, each edition with a different cover (you can choose, like) (LOFI PIANO)
4. The skuzzy lofi garage awesomeness of Ivan the Tolerable’s album ‘A Glass Eye is a Class Eye’ (SKUZZY LOFI GARAGE).
And also there will be an exclusive mix (hence blue tape) just 4 UUU (mystic meg voice).
So please, be really nice and share this and encourage other people to share it and you have a chance of winning some nifty tapes for freeeeee.
I’ll close the ‘draw’ on Monday.
Eliot // CCR
S o o o o n
If you’ve not had chance to check out our forthcoming releases yet, please do.
BLOODSPORT videosforpictures Oh No! Yoko
They’ll be out quicker than you can say Batman 12.
If you haven’t already, get over to our bandcamp and download the recent split between BLOODSPORT and VIDEOSFORPICTURES. It’s up for free (well, pay anything, but we know what people are like, jeez), soon to be on cassette WITH US.
Get your self over there, put it on and relax to the cool menthol vibes.
A Swan in The Air by Bloodsport
This is taken off a split EP I just put out with Videosforpictures. If you could give it a listen and tell a friend or some shit, that’d be super duper awesome.
Tapes 2 come.
Soon to be on a cassette with us.
If you are unaware, we have 15 of these lovely tapes. A two sided mixtape of fresh, underground talent; half SURF/LOFI/GARAGE ROCK/PUNK, half CHILLWAVE/ELECTRO/AMBIENT.
The best of the unknown.
1. Surfbeat Mojo by BEACH SKULLS
2. I Wanna Do It by SONNY AND THE SUNSETS
3. Twenty Nine by CHRISTMAS ISLAND
4. Vacation by REAL BOYS
5. Be So True by TOTAL BABES
6. Surf Bitches by BEST FRIENDS
7. I Try by THE GRUESOMES
8. Errand Boy by SEX CULT
9. Haemorrhages 1+2/DF’s Mansion by LOST BOY ?
10. Marv Alien by FUNGI GIRLS
1. The Ease by CASA DEL MIRTO
2. Moonwalk by PORCELAIN RAFT
3. Where About Unknown by KIND SPIRIT
4. Jimi Bleechball by FOXES IN FICTION
5. Data Dream by LASERDISC VISIONS
6. MIDI Drift by GAMES (now Ford & Lopatin)
7. Go Alien (Teen Daze RMX) by OH NO! YOKO
8. The Harvest by TEEN DAZE
9. Harvest Moon by TEEN DAZE
10. Redux (Estress RMX) by BATTLE FOR PARIS
Listen/download for free:
† IN CRUST WE TRUST †